Tuesday, April 18, 2017

DAY # 16: A First Look at Mars

Our newly opened Mars has its first poem today.





Soldiers of Stone
by Evelyn Held

I don't know what I expected -
carnage, bodies, blood.
The awful refuse of
righteousness marching
emboldened, confident.

I imagine them now -
all alike, yet different.
row upon martial row
intended to overwhelm,
subdue, awe-strike.

What tribute, thou Mars,
God of this devastation -
this relentless harvest
of tramping generations

What price you exact
of the earthbound ones
incapable of controlling
anger, greed, revenge.

I don't know what I expected -
not this emptiness.
This bleak silence,
a terror-filled void
with only stone soldiers.

##

Poems can be submitted at the drop boxes on LEA 4, or by emailing them to caledoniaskytower at g mail (dot) com.

No comments:

Post a Comment